openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From George Karalis <thorb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Small website refresh
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2018 21:35:05 GMT
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I have feature matched the new website with the old,
added linux support and implemented a quick download button on the hero
homepage. Now a code cleanup and refactoring is in order.

You can always view the website here:
[1] https://thorbust.github.io/openoffice-website/  <https://thorbust.github.io/openoffice-website/>

And find the repository here:
[2] https://github.com/thorbust/openoffice-website <https://github.com/thorbust/openoffice-website>

Regards,
George

> On 29 Nov 2018, at 08:20, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi George,
>
> I echo what Andrea writes. I am currently migrating the OpenOffice forums to new VMs
and then need to plan additional upgrades.

> I was the one who did the bulk of the Apache CMS work with OpenOffice.org and understand
exactly how the pages are built from templates and css. When I have more time in December
I can look at how to convert the pages. We’ve kept all language sites including over 100
languages in case a community ever returns. (Mongolian has some nice Yurt icons.)

> Files are either in the original pre-Apache html or in Markdown.
>
> We should evaluate whatever generation system we decide to use to figure out the best
way to preserve as much as possible.

> You might get a handle on the structure from making use of the instructions on this page.
[1]

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> [1] https://openoffice.apache.org/website-local.html#using-the-apache-cms-bookmarklet-simpler-method
>

>> On Nov 27, 2018, at 12:29 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> George Karalis wrote:
>>> All I am asking now is if I could have access to a staging environment(maybe
in
>>> another url, as I don't want to mess with your current staging site, as  you
may want
>>> to make changes there), so I can make those changes and having a fully working
and
>>> tested homepage within this week, that we can move live.
>>
>> Thanks, George! As you've probably seen from other conversations, we are on a very
tight schedule at the moment since we need to move our old sites to new servers this week;
this is why nobody had the time to help you with the site.

>> Since I see it's just HTML and assets, we could try hosting it at
>> http://www.openoffice.org/new
>> or similar, provided you use relative URLs for assets.
>>
>> You will need some patience; I like your draft more than the current homepage and
I think it undeniably looks more modern, but we'll have to feature-match the current home
(e.g., it suggests the native-lang site when available) and some of the choices we had made,
like not to have a prominent Donate button, reflected mailing list discussions back at the
time. Everything can be reversed, but it needs to go through a discussion. Fortunately, discussions
on this list are now much shorter and to-the-point than they used to be a few years ago, so
I hope we can have the new homepage online relatively soon.

>> Next step: if you manage to adapt the JS so that it suggests the native-lang site
correctly, I can then put it at a convenience URL for testing (or we can continue to review
it on Github). Some of us will very likely be busy with the Wiki and Forum upgrades this week,
but some feedback should come.