openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding a new language
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2018 20:02:02 GMT
Yousef Qursha wrote:
> I would like to add a new OpenOffice extension that can check the spelling
> for "Kabardian Language".
> The problem is that currently the language is not supported by Windows; not
> having a locale or a language code for input. Furthermore they rejected a
> request to get a LCID for the language.

The LCID may help with compatibility but it is not a strict requirement.
It is more important to know whether you have some officially assigned
ISO code. Does such a code exist?

> It would be appreciated if you can provide us with an advice on how to
> proceed to add this extension to your extensions list.

Actually, adding a language is done in the main OpenOffice code (and you
will need a new OpenOffice release for it). Once a language has been
added that way, you can create an extension to provide spell-check for
documents in your language. You can also translate the entire OpenOffice
UI into your language if you wish.

Localization issues are generally discussed on the l10n list:

Please make sure you subscribe to the relevant mailing lists or you will
miss answers.

Regards,
   Andrea.