openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] refactoring OpenOffice
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2019 15:26:26 GMT
My motivation for wanting to update data structures is bug fixing. I've
already had to track down and fix buffer overflows. A general move to
self-expanding buffers and bounds checking would fix bugs we do not yet
know about.

On 3/2/2019 7:16 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> FWIW, I agree. We've already seen how simple, obvious changes have a nasty ripple effect.
Having a major restructure "now" would, from what I can see, have a major impact on us being
able to release 4.2.0 in anything close to "soon"...

> I also have issues w/ fixing/restructuring things that work... dmake is weird, but it
does seem to work, and unless we can completely rework the entire build system, I'd prefer
to see us work on closing bugs and making releases and port to gbuild those parts that must
be updated.

> Of course, this is a volunteer project and no one can, or should, force someone to work
on stuff they don't want to or prevent someone from scratching an itch. I'd just like the
project to be working together with a more unified vision...

>> On Mar 1, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> The OpenOffice build system is both complicated and fragile. If you do move things
around, you MUST test the ability to build and install for each supported OS.

>> To me, this change seems high risk for low benefit. I would far rather see any available
cycles put into replacing ad-hoc data structures with STL structures.