openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: please help
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2019 21:41:57 GMT
On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 15:03:24 -0600
Joan Isenberg <joangisenberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Apache Open Office 4 on my computer and cannot find answers to the
> following questions:
> 1) How do I change the default font from Times New Roman to something else?
> Everything says hit the HOME button but I do not have that on my menu.
> 2) What happened to my recycle bin? How can I delete documents?
> 3) How can I change the name of a saved document?
>
> I'm not very impressed with the program or the online support. I hope you
> will answer this email.
> *Joangisenberg@gmail.com <Joangisenberg@gmail.com>*
> Joan Isenberg

A way to change the default fonts in OpenOffice is to use /Tools/Options/OpenOffice Writer
: Basic fonts (Western) and select the changes using the dropdowns. If using a Mac, Options
is under preferences.

It is better to change the fonts in the default template(s) you use, but you will have to
learn how to use Styles, which are the best way to control formatting in OpenOffice.  A good
introduction is given in
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students

The recycle bin is on your operating system's desktop - it does not form part of OpenOffice
- if you reduce the OO window from full screen you may perhaps (depending on sizes and layouts
etc) see the Recycle bin.

Deletion of documents is best done at system level on your computer.  If you do not wish them
to show in /File /Recent documents, click on the "clear list" entry at the bottom of that
list; however, the documents will still remain on your computer until deleted - as I wrote,
best done at system level.  However, in OO's file selection dialogs one can select a file
and press the Delete key.  I do not think there is any recovery from this, which is why it
is better to delete files at system level.

You can change the file name name of a document by (in OO) "/File /Save as" and giving it
a new name.  You will now have two files - the new and the old.  If you  right click on a
file at system level, you should be offered a popup which will include Rename file.

The online support is offered by OO users on a pro bono basis.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>