openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Damjan Jovanovic <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build on Windows
Date Thu, 16 May 2019 03:06:08 GMT
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 4:45 AM Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:

> "Install Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5. SP1
> (recommended by Microsoft. Note: later versions of the Windows SDK will
> not work. AOO can not be built with MSVC 2010 or 2012 - MSVC 2008 is
> needed and is found in the Windows 7 SDK)"
>
> Both the links given for installing the software get "download no longer
> available".
>
> Since I have built many times on the machine in question that download
> cannot be necessary. Since the instructions do not specify the files, it
> is difficult to search for them.

That isn't good at all.

My 13 March 2018 email entitled "First steps in building with MSVC 14 /
Visual Studio 2015" described some of the work involved in using newer MSVC
versions to build AOO. That "Windows Kit" needs better integration into the
build and packaging, but I think it will limit us to Windows 7 and later
(the irony being that the open-source mingw[-w64] toolchain, which only
links to the primordial MSVCRT.DLL, could let us support even Windows 9x).

Hopefully we can also simplify the current situation with the many MSVCR*
versions we use in the process.

Get started and I'll catch up in a few weeks when I am more free?

Damjan