openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [resolution] svn migration plan
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 15:02:49 GMT
Mechtilde wrote:
> Am 14.08.19 um 11:21 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> adding a quick git clone command here and there in the wiki is enough
>> for us, but confusing for the general public.
> The entries I found, I added the git clone command

This is a good example of something that is enough for us but confusing
for the general public. See

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

where we still have the SVN commands (which WILL work and give you the
frozen SVN trunk, with no indications that this is frozen; it is now
easy to say that we should have added a last SVN commit mentioning git),
then the new git command, then notes like "You can use git as well.
There exists no guide for this, therefore ask on dev@, if you want to
use git".

I would be for only listing the git commands, re-reading the entire page
and re-writing the sections that mention SVN.

Old versions of the page are easily visible to everybody, so we can use

https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO&oldid=245569

as "the latest version before the switch to git" in case.

For sure, once one has properly ported

1. https://openoffice.apache.org/source.html

2. https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

things will be much clearer to the public, but also to us (the fact that
I see patches sent by mail, and not link to pull requests, makes me
think we are still unclear about our own processes).

I will start with updating page 1 above; I think this will leave me with
some questions about what conventions we are using for git, so it will
be a useful exercise.

Regards,
   Andrea.