openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: get Revision from Git (short Hash)
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:02:25 GMT

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 10:51 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> We already have the build id, the build
>> date and now the git hash (which is a unique link to the last commit it
>> was based on)
>> This is how we did it with SVN, why should we change it?
>
> Because we are dropping information. The SVN revisions are always increasing, and thus
(independent on the build date, which can be at any moment) I can compare two builds and retain
information on which came first.

> With git of course this doesn't hold, i.e., you cannot say which commit came earlier
between abcd1234 and 5678abcd. So I see some added value if we enrich it this way.

Is that needed though? I had thought the basic reason for having the SVN ID is that the end-user
knows, for sure, which SVN revision their app was built from.