openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: get Revision from Git (short Hash)
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:24:01 GMT
Am 14.08.19 um 22:02 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> On Aug 14, 2019, at 10:51 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> We already have the build id, the build
>>> date and now the git hash (which is a unique link to the last commit it
>>> was based on)
>>> This is how we did it with SVN, why should we change it?
>>
>> Because we are dropping information. The SVN revisions are always increasing, and
thus (independent on the build date, which can be at any moment) I can compare two builds
and retain information on which came first.

>> With git of course this doesn't hold, i.e., you cannot say which commit came earlier
between abcd1234 and 5678abcd. So I see some added value if we enrich it this way.

> Is that needed though? I had thought the basic reason for having the SVN ID is that the
end-user knows, for sure, which SVN revision their app was built from.

it's unrealistic that the commit was done, e.g., today but the build
weeks later. So, Git hash and build date is not done at the exact same
date and time. But nearly. And here it think it's sufficiant.

But when we decide to prefix the hash with a date value it's OK for me, too.

Marcus