openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: get Revision from Git (short Hash)
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 14:51:55 GMT
Matthias Seidel wrote:
> We already have the build id, the build
> date and now the git hash (which is a unique link to the last commit it
> was based on)
> This is how we did it with SVN, why should we change it?

Because we are dropping information. The SVN revisions are always
increasing, and thus (independent on the build date, which can be at any
moment) I can compare two builds and retain information on which came first.

With git of course this doesn't hold, i.e., you cannot say which commit
came earlier between abcd1234 and 5678abcd. So I see some added value if
we enrich it this way.

Regards,
   Andrea.