openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: C++ standard when building OpenOffice
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2019 11:19:23 GMT

On 11/3/2019 8:15 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:49 AM Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 04.11.2019 02:14, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>>> Thank you for the info. I haven't had good experiences with Boost in my
>>> Win64 attempts either...
>>>
>>> Don, how feasible do you think Go or Rust are, to start using in place of
>>> C++?
>>
>> Really? You'd rewrite code in a completely different language because
>> you can't figure out a way to select std::auto_ptr or std::unique_ptr
>> depending on your build environment?
>>

> I said "start using" (for new development), not "rewrite". The Mozilla
> project did something similar, they used Rust to develop their new Servo
> layout engine, not rewrite the whole of Firefox in it.

That can be considered on its own merits for any new feature. It is not
a solution to the build problem, because we will still have millions of
lines of C++ that has to be built for each target. If anything, it will
make the build problem worse, by adding another language to the mix.

https://www.avg.com