openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Don Lewis <truck...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C++ standard when building OpenOffice
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2019 18:02:57 GMT
On  5 Nov, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> what if we require LLVM as build requirement and build OpenOffice only
> with LLVM instead of preinstalled gcc?
>
> the project provides packages for Windows, Linux (And here RHEL 7.4) and
> mac. Cygwin offers Version 8.01
>
> Debian offers also LLVM as Version 8.
>
> It would just work around the issue we currently face, while increasing
> the build requirements only by little.

That's not likely to be helpful.  Mixing an application built with LLVM
with system C++ libraries compiled with gcc is likely to fail.  It is
best to use the same compiler for everything.  Also, using a non-default
compiler would require the user to install the matching C++ runtime
libraries.

What set me on this quest was trying to build 4.1.7 with gcc on
FreeBSD/powerpc, where LLVM is not quite ready for prime time.

Either compiler can generally be persuaded to work.  In C++98 mode, LLVM
can use it's regular C++ STL headers, whereas GCC needs to use the boost
TR1 headers for STL.  In C++11 mode, either compiler can use the C++ STL
headers, but our code isn't quite ready for C++11, and we can't yet make
the changes for C++11 that are not compatible with the older compilers
on some platforms.

> We have to drop CentOS6 support completely, as a price, but I think this
> is already decided.

Dropping support for CentOS 6 for 4.2.x would be nice for a couple of
reasons.  GCC on CentOS 6 doesn't support C++11, and CentOS 6 is our
last platform that doesn't have the new gstreamer.  But if we don't
support CentOS 6 for 4.2.x, then we probably need to extend support for
4.1.x.