openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Don Lewis <truck...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Build environment future
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2019 19:20:16 GMT
I'd like to see build.pl go away and switch to gmake at the top level.
build.pl is bloated with a lot of stuff that we don't use and gets in
the way of efficient parallel builds.  Sometimes we don't have N modules
that we can build at the same time, so it would be nice to be able to
use the extra CPU cores to start more parallel compiles in the modules
that we are able to build.  Other times modules can be single-threaded,
and it would be nice to start building more modules.  This is possible
using gmake at the top level as well as the module level.

Generating the top-level Makefile with the module dependencies should be
fairly easy.  I think the big missing piece is the deliver stuff for the
non-gbuild modules.