openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice trunc Assertion Error
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2020 13:19:49 GMT
+1

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 9:02 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 1/8/2020 5:55 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Hi -
>> See inline
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On Jan 8, 2020, at 3:44 PM, Peter Kovacs <Petko@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> hope I do not annoy anyone, with my questions.
>>> I have looked deeper in the issue using OpenGrok.
>>>
>>> Now the Issue seems pretty clear.
>>> We have only the function signatures:
>>>
>>> file: atkwrapper.hxx
>>> 85  AtkObject *            atk_object_wrapper_new(
>>> 86      const ::com::sun::star::uno::Reference< ::com::sun::star::accessibility::XAccessible
>& rxAccessible,
>>> 87      AtkObject* parent = NULL );
>>>
>>> And we have the call for the Function just above this one (file:atkwrapper.cxx):
>>> AtkObject *
>>> atk_object_wrapper_ref( const uno::Reference< accessibility::XAccessible >
&rxAccessible, bool create )
>>> {
>>>    g_return_val_if_fail( rxAccessible.get() != NULL, NULL );
>>>
>>>    AtkObject *obj = ooo_wrapper_registry_get(rxAccessible);
>>>    if( obj )
>>>    {
>>>        g_object_ref( obj );
>>>        return obj;
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    if( create )
>>>        return atk_object_wrapper_new( rxAccessible );
>>>
>>>    return NULL;
>>> }
>>>
>>> So this is a bit confusing.
>>>
>>> Anyone objects if I refactor the above code so we have only one return statement
at the end of the function? I think it is annoying and you quickly miss the exitpoints of
the function.
>> You are doing this to make a code quality tool quiet?
>> You will need to carefully understand how to add else clauses to the code. If the
functions is long it will be tedious. Bad clauses will create very subtle bugs. I would want
to build often ....
>> Such changes may also make these functions slightly slower.
>> If you do this then I think you’ll want someone to review the diff.
>
> For some functions, single return is natural and clear. For others, the code is simpler,
more readable, and clearer with multiple returns. I think this may be a case where I would
prefer multiple returns, but I would be interested in seeing what it looks like if refactored,
and open to the possibility that it might be clearer.