openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice localization tasks
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 15:54:38 GMT
On 10/11/12 5:14 PM, jan iversen wrote:
> From the description it looks a lot better that POedit. I installed poedit
> because I got a mail from andrea saying so :-)
>
> As far as I can see OmegaT is very useful for new translations, however it
> does not seem to have a feature that can control existing translations.
>
> Doing the danish translation, I have come across a couple of words that are
> today translated differently. So I was looking at a tool that controlled
> the translation.
>
> Anyhow I will try to use OmegaT for translating the help content, which is
> due this evening.
>
> A pootle server has a form of cloud memory, where every translator can be
> given rights (read/write) and I think that would do the job.

yes, the problem is that users have to be committer at Apache ;-) It
always helps if we volunteers start to work offline first and become
committer over time. Not optimal but working for now and many people
prefer offline translation anyway. But it could improve the
collaboration by downloading only a single po file, translate and upload
it again.

There is a lot of room for improvements and any good idea to improve the
whole process is welcome.

I would like to see a completely new tooling to get rid of the sdf files
that we use in the build and use po files directly. One from my
perspective unnecessary conversion step could be eliminated this way.
But there is more work to do here and many tools who extract the strings
from sdf have to be changed (xcu files, java property files, help files,
resource files, ...). Real programming work would be necessary and a lot
of evaluating how exactly the current process works. But Andre has
already figured out that a lot unnecessary copying is done here during
the build process and that there is a lot of room for improvements.
Volunteers are welcome ;-)

Juergen

> Jan I.
>
> On 11 October 2012 16:42, Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org> wrote:
>
>> Well there is the translation memory used in OmegaT which is one of
>> the most revered programs. PoEdit has some translation memory support.
>> http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html
>>
>> I wonder if there is a way of having a cloud translation memory that
>> can be shared and used between the whole team. That will allow
>> translators to get their terminology on the same vein.
>>
>> This could be done maybe even if there were cloud po editors. Pootle
>> editor does use some TM, but is also pretty poorly implemented. Some
>> UX improvements could go a long way.
>>
>> Other things to keep in mind are nemonics and reserved functions like
>> Spreadsheet formulas.
>>

>> On 10/11/12, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I think I have used it back in the days where sun made a PC version of
>>> unix, if that could be made available it could really enhance quality of
>>> the translation.
>>>
>>> I am right now looking into making a small program that checks for this
>>> kind of translation mishaps. I have tried POconsistency which is nice,
>> but
>>> does not control glossary strongly enough.
>>>
>>> The one I worked with, had a lot of languages (at least all the western
>>> ones).
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> Jan I

>> dictionary.