openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Greetings from new translation volunteer and request for some guidance
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:22:53 GMT
(To people who answer: please CC Piotr)

On 17/10/2012 Piotr Czapla wrote:
> My name is Piotr and I just registered myself as a volunteer to help with
> Polish translation of OpenOffice.

Hi Piotr, welcome! If I remember correctly (but the Polish guys will
tell you more) the Polish translation is now complete and it only needs
review.

> Could someone please guide me as to where I can get the mos recent PO file
> and give me some suggestions about which translation management tool would
> be best for Kubuntu? Both subjective and objective opinions are welcome :-)

The PO files were made available to translators but since we should be
done with it I'm not sending the link now. As for tools, PO files can be
managed with anything, from POEdit to Lokalize to GNU Emacs (in PO mode)
to actually any text editor.

> Since I am approaching this kind of task for the first time I would
> definitely appreciate all and any guidance wrt tools and the process you
> can give me.

A lot of people, including all volunteers that are now helping to
deliver the Polish translation, joined very recently; it is very likely,
and actually already in the works, that we we make some guidelines for
new translators available. In the meantime, the best advice I can give
you is to subscribe to this list: send an empty message to
ooo-l10n-subscribe@incubator.apache.org and respond to the confirmation
request you will receive. This way you will always be up-to-date on the
OpenOffice localization activities.

Regards,
   Andrea.