openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice localization tasks
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:46:29 GMT
I agree with you at the end of day we need to have a working solution and
that can then over time evolve.

I have a couple of questions about the process:

1) how many (rough number) conversion/extract programs do you have ?
2) is the sdf file used solely as an intermediary file to create the .po
files and create the language files used in the different release trees ?

I am just thinking about a process like this ?

-- have a database (or file storage) with all po files for all languages,
INCLUDING one EN-EN, this is the repository. which should be kept under
source control.

When a new release is made go through the following steps:
a) convert the release tree files to one PO file EN-EN (this would need a
change of the current extract programs)
b) compare the new EN-EN PO file to the existing EN-EN PO file, and create
a delta file (With source control this is quite easy)
c) update/merge the language EN-XX PO files according to the delta file.
(this is a simple modified merge in the source control)

d) get the changed language files translated, e.g. through the pootle server

e) convert the translated EN-XX PO files back to the release files (this
would need a change of the current convert programs).

I think you avoid many problems by defining the project (release tree)
files as generated files and not as original files.

--
Jan Iversen
Tel. no. +34 622 87 66 19