openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From jan iversen <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice localization tasks
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:46:29 GMT
I agree with you at the end of day we need to have a working solution and
that can then over time evolve.

I have a couple of questions about the process:

1) how many (rough number) conversion/extract programs do you have ?
2) is the sdf file used solely as an intermediary file to create the .po
files and create the language files used in the different release trees ?

I am just thinking about a process like this ?

-- have a database (or file storage) with all po files for all languages,
INCLUDING one EN-EN, this is the repository. which should be kept under
source control.

When a new release is made go through the following steps:
a) convert the release tree files to one PO file EN-EN (this would need a
change of the current extract programs)
b) compare the new EN-EN PO file to the existing EN-EN PO file, and create
a delta file (With source control this is quite easy)
c) update/merge the language EN-XX PO files according to the delta file.
(this is a simple modified merge in the source control)

d) get the changed language files translated, e.g. through the pootle server

e) convert the translated EN-XX PO files back to the release files (this
would need a change of the current convert programs).

I think you avoid many problems by defining the project (release tree)
files as generated files and not as original files.

On 12 October 2012 10:03, J├╝rgen Schmidt <> wrote:

> On 10/11/12 7:05 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > On 10/11/12, Michael Bauer <> wrote:
> >> The latest versions of Pootle have a feature called AmaGama which acts
> >> as a cross-OS translation memory. For offline, there's Virtaal. Perhaps
> >> not ideal for mainstream translation work like newsletters and novels
> >> etc but I've found it very efficient for software localization.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >
> > I like Lokalize for KDE, the shortcuts and different layout makes me
> > work faster on switching from one string to the next. Also has good
> > TM.
> We can talk a lot about a new tooling or new format but in the end the
> work have to be done and it is far more complex when you analyze what we
> have and use in the code.
> We collect translation strings from various different formats and create
> one big sdf file (en-US) which is used as template for all other
> languages. We convert and split the one big sdf in many pot files. After
> translation the po files are converted back into one big sdf file for
> each language. Several different tools extract the strings from the sdf
> file and create the final target files that can be used in build (xcu,
> property files, help files, ...)
> Juergen

Jan Iversen
Tel. no. +34 622 87 66 19

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message