openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: danish translation, bug 121179
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:05:10 GMT
Hi Rob.

thanks a lot for the walk-through of the QA process, I have added a couple
of questions.

But the main thing here is that 3.4.1 is already released, so how much do
we put into a language pack..

Jan.

On 25 October 2012 02:28, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Agreed, that was why I asked, I actually expected it to go through a QA
> > cycle.
> >
> > But having been through the OO sites, I have found very little about QA
> for
> > the l10n process.
> >
> > In the end it would require more volunteers to do the QA, I would at
> least
> > not volunteer to check a chinese translation !
> >
> > But I asked earlier on, if our UI test cases was written with
> exchangeable
> > text, so we could run the UI QA suite.
> >
> > So in total I am all for QA, just tell me how ?
> >

> There is a separate QA team on their own mailing list.  They do a mix
> of automated and manual testing.
>
> They don't test the quality of the translation.   We need to do that
> with the translators and other volunteers with expertise in the
> language.

It is not only a matter of the quality...I am used to run the automated
test on ALL languages, to make sure the product behaves identically in all
languages, I have seen numerous bugs in e.g. sorting when tested on just
something as simple as German (the double S).

I looked around at what I could find was done for the 3.4.1 release, and
could only see automated testing being done for en_US.

Another step is of course the translation quality itself.

> > I think my question is kind of generic, as far as I know there are:
> >    - polish
> >    - nynorsk
> >    - svedish
> >    - türkish
> >    - and chinese
> > on its way, so we need to have a fixed opinion on when and how to
> release.
> >

> We release all at once, all languages and platforms.

Sorry I meant a fixed opinion on how we release language packs to a release
that has been out there for a while...I dont think we will spin a 3.4.2
just because of the languages ?

> Generally it works like this:
>
> 1) We have snapshot builds as features are being developed
>
> 2) At some point we finish all features planned for a release and can
> complete a full test cycle
>
> 3) Once there are no critical bugs (no release-blocking bugs) then we
> create Release Candidate build
>
> 4) The PMC then votes on whether or not to release the Release Candidate

As far as I can see and read this is only done for the en-US version and
not the single language versions.