openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: first draft of l10n process document.
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:52:20 GMT
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:01 AM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com>wrote:

> so you are saying, that I should simply do so much qualified work that the
> committers get tired of committing my work, and vote me in as a committer
> :-)
>
> time will show...!!!
>
> I have created a wiki account, and are able to edit pages, I have installed
> the mediaWiki extension to openOffice, but it cannot upload the page, it
> says my user is not known. Do you know if that a real problem, or am I
> doing something wrong ?

Most people simply just work within the wiki, is not a pre-requisite to
edit the OpenOffice wiki with OpenOffice. That said, I think is a good
testing practice, in case something in mediawiki changes and break the
extension.

But I am not sure how reliable is to use it in the long road specially with
multiple edits and access to history and other matters. Also there is
certain convention on the wiki that is good to follow like Categories, and
subfolders. Formating is not such a big deal, but you might want to read
the Mediawiki help page every now and then.

The localization page was unique since it used it's Category page as its
main page, this makes it somewhat easier to locate its content related
pages. Most other project has a main page and could work within a subfolder
(usually is just a prefix to your page). Is another way of encapsulating
the content, like JA/MainPage as opposed to JA_MainPage. Even in the past
most editors didnt make much use of this way of working and "commited to
root".

Also there is the issue of hyperlinking, since inside project links are
usually just relative links and its convention is different from external
links. OpenOffice wont help you locating other wikipages.

So yeah is a bit unpractical, so you might want to try to do it within
Mediawiki.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice