openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Information for volunteers
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:20:20 GMT
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com>wrote:

> As agreed with Rob, I have put together a list of information, that would
> have me problems and time for all those that helped me.
>
> This list is just a starting point (all the information is out there, so it
> should just be a list with links)
>
> Suggested reading for all volunteers:
> - Where do I find information (wiki, cwiki, mailing lists) ?
> - What can I do to help ?
> - How is the organization (contributor, committer etc....all the way up) ?
> - Who is who ? (It would be good to have a list of the key persons) ?
> - What are our relationship to other openOffice packages (can I use my
> contribution elsewhere) ?
>
> Suggested reading for Wiki contributors
> - Which writing rules do we have (do I change a page directly or use talk)
> - How is the content controlled, basically I can write anything, are there
> any QA ?
> - How is the structure of Wiki ? (and temporary, which parts are old and
> outdated) ?
> - Who do I contact if I have problems/questions/need guidance ?
>
> Suggested reading for a translator
> - Where do I find correct information about localization (some wiki pages
> are misguiding, and l10n.openoffice.org is NOT a good starting point)
> - Where can I see status of the ongoing translations ?
> . Which tools do I need and how do I use them (any standards) ?
> - Who do I contact to get started ?
>
> Suggested reading for a tester
> - How can I help testing ?
> - Is it possible to test in my native language ?
> - Which tools do I need ?
> - How do I report bugs ?
> - Who do I contact, if I want to be a tester ?
>
> Suggested reading for a developer
> - Where do I find guidance on how to write a source code (naming standards
> etc.) ?
> - Where do I find build instructions (I found 5 different for Ubuntu...the
> last one was pretty good, but I still had to ask on dev for the last bit (a
> simple flag was wrong))
> - Where do I find source ?
> - When do I need to use the sources, and when to use extensions ?
> - Where do I find the bug reporting system ?
> - How can I "reserve" a bug for me to solve ?
>

> Then of course as you grow more into the community you get more questions
> (like CMS etc), but I think to cover that would be too much.

There is a bit of a dilema here, what to know where to point if we still
not sure what will be there?

What I mean is that most of the l10n processes are not defined, so at the
moment the only functional part is the mailing list.

No QaSTE, Pootle (still unstable), TCM (gone), Continuousl10n (non
avialable anymore), Glossaries (gone as well).

So what do we have? Pootle has a process of 'only commiters' can provide or
QA the localized strings.

A think tank of a ML.

This makes it somewhat easy... just calling everyone on the l10n list,
however. Localization was a HUGE part of OOo, it worked closely with the
NLC communities, as well as with QA and Release teams. So it was a hibrid
of internationalization and engineering. So the process normally was a
mixture of  technical and community minded processes. So is important we
take this into account in order to have a roadmap, and in order of this
roadmap we should direct the future localization community into that
direction.

So we need, engineers, we need localizaers, linguist, applications, and
INFRA and things in that order to properly construct the infrastructure.

Either custom webapps or borrowed applications. An example is what
LibreOffice did replacing TCM with an application called MozTrap:
http://vm12.documentfoundation.org/manage/cases/

Glossaries are now handled on the wiki, which is not optimal as far as
terminology management.

Other non product related activities like website making it more flexible
with language. We observed tools like localize.js which help manage the
right locale for users.
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Website/Localization#Locale.js

So think JS expertise as well and maybe some HTML5 geolocation intelligence.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice