openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:34:57 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/10/16 jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com>
>
>> I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to maintain
>> in order to help on AOO.
>>
>> If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in
>> wiki.openoffice.org,
>> I would not think of cwiki.apache.org
>>
>> or have I misunderstood something ?
>>
>> rgds
>> Jan I.
>>

> If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
> (sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
> traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust my
> memory... ;)

Historically there was a single website, www.openoffice.org that was
both user-facing and project-facing.  It was a single domain
(openoffice.org) as well as subdomains for distinct projects.  Behind
this domain were static web pages, a wiki, forums, extensions and
template libraries, etc.  So behind the scenes it was quite complex,
but to everyone it looked like "openoffice.org".

With the move to Apache the services were arranged differently.
Bugzilla is under an apache.org domain.   Apache Infrastructure
supported CWiki and MoinMoin, but not MWiki.  And all Apache projects
have an official page in the apache.org domain.

So the idea was that we would have two different experiences:  a
user-facing "product" website at openoffice.org, where we focus on
user-facing tasks like product information, downloads and support.
And a project-facing website, at an Apache domain, with information
for volunteers participating on the project.  So product versus
project.  The split is imperfect, since there is still a lot of
project-related content on the openoffice.org domain.  But I think
we've done a good job at making the user experience be clean.  A user
going to the www.openoffice.org home page does not easily find
outdated content.  However, some of the native language home pages,
the ones not maintained yet, have a worse experience.

-Rob