openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we change the Polish and Danish web pages?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:52:55 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:30 AM, jan iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got it.
>
> What is the polite policy in the apache OO community.
>
> E.x. when I created my wiki.openoffice.org account (again), I came across a
> page that said:
> "we recommend you use the same username as on openoffice.org".
>
> Now today openoffice.org does not have a login, so it is kind of obsolite,
> I left a note on the "discussion" page, but would it have been more correct
> that I changed it ?
>
> Over time I have found that different communities handle these matters very
> differently, and as they say, asking cost nothing :-)

Generally it works like this:

1) With Subversion and Wiki we have a time machine that allows us to
discussion for reversible changes.  In fact we try to avoid
unnecessary discussion and list traffic regarding uncontroversial
changes.

2) So for uncontroversial, reversible changes, the practice is JFDI
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JFDI)

3) In cases where the contributor has more doubt, on the technical
approach, or on the correctness or acceptability of the change, they
can post a proposal to the mailing list and see if there are any
objections.  For non-urgent changes we wait 72-hours, to ensure that
everyone has an opportunity to read the proposal.   Reviewers can
express support by responding +1 and disapproval by -1.  But this is
not a vote.  You are just waiting to see if there are any serious
objections.  If there are no objections then you go forward.

4) Any Committer can veto a change, for technical reasons, and ask for
it to be reversed.  This is very rare.

5) If there are competing approaches, or serious objections, then we
might have longer discussions or even a vote.  But we try to avoid
votes.  Votes have winners and losers.  We want everyone to be happy
and reach consensus.  But note that there are some formal decisions
that require voting, like approving a release or approving new
Committers.

Regards,

-Rob