openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: first draft of l10n process document.
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 00:32:20 GMT
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Keith N. McKenna
<meriodoc_brandybuck@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Jan;
>
> I suspect that you attached the document to your mail to the list.
> Unfortunately most of the lists strip attachments. The best bet is to upload
> it to your website or something like sky drive and post a link to it back to
> the mailing list. I look forward to seeing what you have come up with and
> though I am not a translator, hopefully my process engineering background
> can make some useul comments.

+1.

And we'll probably need to make some distinction between updating an
existing localization and creating one from scratch.  For a new
localization, like the Uighur one, there are many tasks, from
developing the basic glossary, to translation, but also other aspects
of localization, like collation/sorting order, numeration, decimal
formats, spell checkers, etc.  But updating an existing translation
for a new release is almost 100% UI string translation.  And then
there are the rarer cases of language/spelling reforms such as in
German, which are of intermediate difficulty.  The most common case is
the updated translation, and it might make sense to focus the initial
process documentation on that case.

-Rob