openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tamil website translation (Re: Tamil Translation)
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 16:57:10 GMT
Kadal Amutham wrote:
> I copied the source code file of openoffice.org/ta and reposted at
> thewink.in/tamil. The only change I did is that I also uploaded the font
> file  in the same directory. Now Tamil font is correctly rendered.

(moving this answer to the discussion about the website translation, to
avoid confusion with the program translation).

Let me see if we can get this right: I created three tests to see how we
can solve it.

http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/tamil-test/test-1/
This is the homepage text (main body only) as it is in SVN. You say this
is broken. Needless to say, I trust you on this, since I can't read Tamil.

http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/tamil-test/test-2/
This is the homepage text (main body only) as it is in SVN. I added your
TTF font in the same directory, doesn't seem to make a difference.

http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/tamil-test/test-3/
This is the homepage text (main body only) with an HTML <link> directive
to import the file
http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/tamil-test/test-3/tamil.css , that in
turn defines the Tamil TTF font with @font-face and applies it to
paragraphs (for this initial test this is enough). This looks different
than #1 and #2 on my system.

Now, is test-3 a proper rendering of Tamil as you would like to see it?
If it is, we can implement the change on the whole site (the font you
supplied can be freely used and redistributed); the only issue would be
that apparently Internet Explorer does not support @font-face with TTF
fonts, but this would simply mean that Internet Explorer users will
continue to see the site as it is now.

Regards,
   Andrea.