openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Delivering PO files (Re: Volunteering for Translation - Tamil)
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:33:44 GMT
On 17/12/2012 J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 12/15/12 12:13 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> (note to Juergen: these are your same files, but I deleted Testtool and
>> the 135 files that are 100% translated, so volunteers won't be confused)
> ok, but I would prefer if we communicate the details and keep the po
> bundles untouched. It makes the reintegration easier for me and I have
> to do less.

OK, I won't produce the "easy" packages until we agree on this. But
really, the overhead on us is minimal and the impact on a translator who
has never seen PO files is large: if we only keep those PO files where
there is something to translate, and ignore those that are fully
translated, we reduce the number of files by 50-80% and things are much
more manageable for volunteers who need to track/reassign translations.

> I think the used tools for offline translation can take care of already
> translated strings.

Note that I never mentioned strings. I removed 100% translated files,
not strings. This means that doing so we save translators the effort to
open (or assign) 100-200 files that actually need no work and would be
delivered back exactly as they are.

And the overhead on us is:

- before delivering the files, run something like (e.g., if you have a
subdirectory named "he" with all PO files for Hebrew)

LG=he; pocount --short-strings $LG | grep -v '100%t' | grep -v
'/basic/source/app.po' | cut --delim=' ' -f1 | xargs tar jcvf
aoo341_${LG}_po-files-diff.tar.bz2

- when we receive the files back, at worst one has to extract them over
the "full" package (but I don't think this is even needed)

True, no volunteers so far complained that we sent them too many useless
files. But, especially for minor releases, I would consider this
approach again.

> But it is no big problem, I just want to mention that with the upcoming
> update for AOO 4.0 we will remove unused string anyway.

This is a different topic... but very good to do so, this will help
volunteers too.

Regards,
   Andrea.