openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Icelandic
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2012 20:59:26 GMT
On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> And sorry for me being slow in understanding...when we release AOO with X
> languages, then it is only the translation part, or do we automatically
> download dictionaries etc. or do the user always have to do that manually
> (thinking of our long discussion of a 1 download setup discussion) ?

When we use the word "release" we use a term that has caused heated
discussions at Apache before.  So be prepared for multiple
definitions.

Everyone agrees that a release includes the source code, i.e., the
source tarball package that contains the core code for AOO, just the
Apache Licensed stuff.  So the source package does not contain
dictionaries, etc.

We then also publish a set of binary packages for the convenience of
our users.  Some consider these to be part of the "release", others
say these are outside of the "release".  But this might be a
distinction without a difference.  The important thing to note is that
these binary packages can bundle certain non-Apache licensed modules
and extensions, including dictionaries.

Regards,

-Rob

> Jan I.
>
> On 2 December 2012 21:31, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2012/12/2 janI <jani@apache.org>
>>
>> > @rob:
>> >
>> > How can we check the state of dictionaries / thesaurus / hyphen ?
>> >
>> > Translation is a big issue, but I have an idea the rest is even bigger ?
>> >
>> > Pootle server is only for translation (if I am correct), so the other
>> parts
>> > are updated how ?
>> >
>> > Jan I.
>> >

>> As most dictionaries have incompatible licenses (most of them are LGPL)
>> they are external projects. In fact, the same spell dictionaries are used
>> by other projects, like firefox (at least, that's the situation with the
>> Spanish dictionaries developed by the project "Recursos lingüísticos
>> abiertos del español"(1)). The situation is similar for the thesaurus and
>> AFAIK the hyphenation patterns comes from LaTeX, so we have no control on
>> any of them.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ricardo
>>
>> (1) https://forja.rediris.es/projects/rla-es/