openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tamil website translation (Re: Tamil Translation)
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:52:44 GMT
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Kadal Amutham <vkadal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Andrea,
> Thanks for the reply. I am away from my usual place and I have some
> limitation to access internet  So my replies may be a bit late.
>
> The web pages test-1 and test-2 there are minor problem. The small dots
> above letters are in the wrong place and makes readable a bit difficult and
> slower. What is required the font used in preparing Tamil content. If the
> pages few (less than 10), I can type it so that font rendering is 100%
> correct. Regarding 3rd test page, I have attached a png file. The marking in
> black is 100% unreadable. (A different font might have been used to prepare
> this content). The red marked area is with minor problem like test-1 and
> test-2. But in test-3, all remaining text is 100% correct.
>
> If the Tamil pages are few, send me those pages, I will make 100% correct,
> and send it back to you. (It will be better if you could provide the font
> name used in the content preparation). I know people who are more
> knowledgeable in Tamil. I can improve the content if possible taking their
> help.

I looked at these pages via Google Translate.  They are all
out-of-date and would need much more work, beyond the fonts, to be
very useful.

I wonder if we good "bootstrap" ourselves to a better Tamil website,
and translation, by doing some specific recruitment in this area?

We would start by replacing the Tamil page with a simple page that
says, in Tamil:

"Welcome to the Tamil Project at Apache OpenOffice !

The most recent translation of OpenOffice for Tamil is OpenOffice
3.3.0.  This can be downloaded here:

Mac
Linux-32 RPM
Linux-32 DEB
Linux-64 RPM
Linux-64 DEB

The current Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 has many improvements, in
performance, interoperability and security, along with new features.
However, we cannot release this version for Tamil since the
translation is incomplete, only 93% done.   We welcome Tamil
volunteers interested in helping complete and improve the translation,
maintain this Tamil webpage, and help promote OpenOffice in India, Sri
Lanka.and other Tamil-speaking regions.   If you are interested in
helping, more information can be found here:
http://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html."

We would then look for ways to promote this call for volunteers with
the right audiences.   Once we have 3-4 volunteers able to help in
this area then we would be in good shape.

-Rob