openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Michael Bauer <f...@akerbeltz.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2013 17:58:51 GMT
A common translator's tuppence on the issue. Most translators are not
programmers and the more technical and convoluted an approach you take,
the more you narrow your potential translators down to that much smaller
pool of people who can do both code and translation.

They also, for the most part, don't give a fig about what license
something is under. I realise that for the people running the project in
question, issues of license exist but the translators on the whole just
want to see X in their language released.

Thirdly, duplication is hugely frustrating for translators, especially
for people working in smaller languages. Having just "rescued" some
Firefox translations from Launchpad, I can vouch for that.

So what would be actually nice is if AOO and LO could agree on a neutral
Pootle server which handles both AOO and LO strings and from which each
project can extract whatever translations they require. Minimum
duplication and standard signup and translation process (none of this
Bugzilla stuff or the need for someone to extract po files, email them,
translation offline and the the whole thing backwards to commit, if ever
there was a #facepalm process, that's it...), if needed, slap a notice
email in the process about how these will be used.

Michael