openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New African Language Dictionary ? ; Luo Language = DhoLuo
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:45:57 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM, rain <rainmaker5five@gmail.com
> <mailto:rainmaker5five@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     My name is George Odhiambo  ...
>     and create a DHOLUO Dictionary ...
> http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/project/hunspell/Hunspell/Documentation/hunspell4.pdf
> As you can see, a spell checking dictionary is more than just a list of
> words.  It also can define rules for how other words can be formed.

This is true. But we can help George building a dictionary even starting
from a very simple wordlist. For example, George can send us a list of
100 words in Dholuo and we can package a proof-of-concept dictionary for
OpenOffice with that information.

George, is the Dholuo language you wish to support this one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639:luo
We may need to add support for that language to OpenOffice, but this is
still feasible.

If you want to see a proof-of-concept Dholuo dictionary for OpenOffice,
just build a list of at least 100 Dholuo words (a few thousands would be
much better, but these will suffice for a quick feasibility test). Then
package them following the guidelines Rob sent, or my FOSDEM
presentation
https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/apache_openoffice_dictionaries/
or simply send us the list and we will do the packaging.

Regards,
   Andrea.