openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2013 18:12:59 GMT
On 23 February 2013 18:58, Michael Bauer <fios@akerbeltz.org> wrote:

> A common translator's tuppence on the issue. Most translators are not
> programmers and the more technical and convoluted an approach you take, the
> more you narrow your potential translators down to that much smaller pool
> of people who can do both code and translation.
>
> The idea is to keep the "real" translation part as non-technical as
possible, but in order to do that some technical discussions are needed. I
have some ideas how we can make the strings to translate even simpler (e.g.
remove all the html tags, which is just noise to translation).

> They also, for the most part, don't give a fig about what license
> something is under. I realise that for the people running the project in
> question, issues of license exist but the translators on the whole just
> want to see X in their language released.
>
> Thirdly, duplication is hugely frustrating for translators, especially for
> people working in smaller languages. Having just "rescued" some Firefox
> translations from Launchpad, I can vouch for that.
>
> So what would be actually nice is if AOO and LO could agree on a neutral
> Pootle server which handles both AOO and LO strings and from which each
> project can extract whatever translations they require. Minimum duplication
> and standard signup and translation process (none of this Bugzilla stuff or
> the need for someone to extract po files, email them, translation offline
> and the the whole thing backwards to commit, if ever there was a #facepalm
> process, that's it...), if needed, slap a notice email in the process about
> how these will be used.

+1 That is high on my wishlist, and not that difficult to implement
technically, except it seems difficult to get a cooperation going and LO
just implemented a new .po file generation system, that are likely to end
up with different keys than AOO.

email is nice for larger translations, but a bit of overhead for the last
part where it often just a couple of messages that needs to be
corrected...that is the point where the pootle server is handy.

rgds
Jan I