openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:59:40 GMT
/
On Feb 24, 2013 3:42 PM, "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 23 February 2013 23:56, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> >> the
> >> pool of

> >> something
> >> see X

> >> for
Firefox

> >> duplication
> >> or
> >> #facepalm
> >> about
> >> >

> >> These are all good points (and Claudio's points are good as well) but
> >> they are not related to my proposal.  I was just suggesting a way in
> >> which we can use Bugzilla improve communications and track progress on
> >> the offline translation of the PO files.
> >>
> >> For example, suppose right now a new volunteer posts a note saying
> >> they want to help with the Greek translation.  Where are the PO files?
> >>  What other volunteers have started on this effort?  Who else has
> >> expressed interest?  Today we need to search through list archives to
> >> find these facts.  But if we had one Bugzilla issue per locale, then
> >> we could track status there, including attaching files.  Volunteers
> >> can also add themselves to the cc-list for the Bug to stay "in the
> >> loop".  And they can even create sub-issues if they want to divide up
> >> the work formally.
> >>
> > I have nothing against using bugzilla, that would be fine for me. We are
> > soon at the point where po files are available in svn (they are on my
local
> > computer).
> >
> > An alternative to bugzilla, would be mwiki (not cwiki :-). We could move
> > the translation page you have made, and attach po files...then we would
> > only have the information in one place, and I am sure more people are
used
> > mwiki than bugzilla.
> >

> Is there a way wtih MWiki to get automatic notifications when there is
> a status change on your language?  I think that is the strength of the
> workflow tracking in BZ.  Someone can add themselves to the cc for the
> Greek tracking issue and get all messages related to that translation
> effort, without signing up for the L10n mailing list and without
> needing to remember to check a wiki.

It should work, if not it is a setup change that I will make.When you watch
a page (default if you edit it) you get mail.

please also remember many translators are not technicians and do not have a
bugzilla account, where I think a mwiki account is more normal.

Would you consider moving your language page to mwiki, in order to be
available to a broader audience?

rgds
jan i