openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:56:50 GMT
On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Michael Bauer <fios@akerbeltz.org> wrote:
> A common translator's tuppence on the issue. Most translators are not
> programmers and the more technical and convoluted an approach you take, the
> more you narrow your potential translators down to that much smaller pool of
> people who can do both code and translation.
>
> They also, for the most part, don't give a fig about what license something
> is under. I realise that for the people running the project in question,
> issues of license exist but the translators on the whole just want to see X
> in their language released.
>
> Thirdly, duplication is hugely frustrating for translators, especially for
> people working in smaller languages. Having just "rescued" some Firefox
> translations from Launchpad, I can vouch for that.
>
> So what would be actually nice is if AOO and LO could agree on a neutral
> Pootle server which handles both AOO and LO strings and from which each
> project can extract whatever translations they require. Minimum duplication
> and standard signup and translation process (none of this Bugzilla stuff or
> the need for someone to extract po files, email them, translation offline
> and the the whole thing backwards to commit, if ever there was a #facepalm
> process, that's it...), if needed, slap a notice email in the process about
> how these will be used.

These are all good points (and Claudio's points are good as well) but
they are not related to my proposal.  I was just suggesting a way in
which we can use Bugzilla improve communications and track progress on
the offline translation of the PO files.

For example, suppose right now a new volunteer posts a note saying
they want to help with the Greek translation.  Where are the PO files?
 What other volunteers have started on this effort?  Who else has
expressed interest?  Today we need to search through list archives to
find these facts.  But if we had one Bugzilla issue per locale, then
we could track status there, including attaching files.  Volunteers
can also add themselves to the cc-list for the Bug to stay "in the
loop".  And they can even create sub-issues if they want to divide up
the work formally.

Regards,

-Rob