openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2013 16:25:08 GMT
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> /
> On Feb 24, 2013 3:42 PM, "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> take,

> question,

> especially
> Firefox

> neutral
> each
> stuff
> offline

>> > I have nothing against using bugzilla, that would be fine for me. We are
>> > soon at the point where po files are available in svn (they are on my
> local
>> > computer).
>> >
>> > An alternative to bugzilla, would be mwiki (not cwiki :-). We could move
>> > the translation page you have made, and attach po files...then we would
>> > only have the information in one place, and I am sure more people are
> used
>> > mwiki than bugzilla.
>> >

>> Is there a way wtih MWiki to get automatic notifications when there is
>> a status change on your language?  I think that is the strength of the
>> workflow tracking in BZ.  Someone can add themselves to the cc for the
>> Greek tracking issue and get all messages related to that translation
>> effort, without signing up for the L10n mailing list and without
>> needing to remember to check a wiki.
>
> It should work, if not it is a setup change that I will make.When you watch
> a page (default if you edit it) you get mail.

So one page per language?  25 languages == 25 wiki pages?

> please also remember many translators are not technicians and do not have a
> bugzilla account, where I think a mwiki account is more normal.

Most translators don't have a wiki account either, until they create
one.  And note we have a backlog of user-submitted defect reports for
translations as well.  So translators should get familiar with
Bugzilla in order to respond to these.  We need communications to be
good in that direction as well.

> Would you consider moving your language page to mwiki, in order to be
> available to a broader audience?

I don't own any page on any wiki.  But I am interested in seeing what
makes the most sense.  IMHO a wiki is create for collaborating on page
contents and instantly publishing it.  But we have other tools, like
BZ, that may be more appropriate for coordinating complex workflows.

-Rob