openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: National web sites
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 01:43:43 GMT
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not been able to follow-up on this.
> The Norwegian site is lacking sadly behind, not even promoting the newly released 3.4.1
:(
> Any updates on best-practice for keeping translations in sync, other than what you described
below?

There are a few approaches:

1) Some do a complete translation of the www.openoffice.org homepage,
as well as the core pages linked from that page.   For example, see
the Spanish homepage:  http://www.openoffice.org/es/

2) Some maintain a full website, but following a different design,
e.g., French:  http://www.openoffice.org/fr/ or German:
http://www.openoffice.org/de/

3) Some keep a very basic website, translating the home page only and
then linking to the English pages for the the deeper pages, e.g.
Brazilian Portuguese:  http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br/

There may be other approaches, but those are the ones that I see in common use.

Personally, I think a nice approach is to start with approach 3), and
then to add to it over time to get something more like 1).

If you or anyone is interested in this, let me know and I can put the
right files in place to translate.

Regards,

-Rob

> Any of the other Norwegian translators want to give it a try?

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com
>
> 20. okt. 2012 kl. 15:36 skrev Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The Norwegian national website @ http://www.openoffice.org/no/ is in pretty bad
shape. Most links and content in the left menu is outdated and/or wrong. I'd like to start
by moving the old homepage to /no/old and start a pure translation of the official home-page
into Norwegian, much like they have done for /es/. Then we can start filling in relevant national
content step by step.

>>> I'm aware of the Apache CMS system, is there some kind of guide for how to manage
a translation, both initially and keeping it up to date? Or is it all manual?