openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Kid" language
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 16:11:16 GMT
Hi Jani,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:59:34PM +0100, janI wrote:
> > IIRC the time I build a KID, the language pack does not work, you have
> > to build a full installation set. I also found the KID thing not helpful
> > at all. IMO it is more useful to set the environment variable HELP_DEBUG
> >
> Do you mind clarifying "not helpful at all" ?
>
> I thought it was a feature our testers used a lot, so I have prepared
> genLang with a "kid switch" so it later can be expanded to generate the
> keys. But it is not useful I will of course not do it.

Did you try it on a build? I find more helpful the HelpID:

http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/HelpIDs.png
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/KIDs.png

Searching for fc45ka is not as helpful as searching for
CB_REDUCEIMAGERESOLUTION (specially from a developer's perspective, the
kid will lead you only to the kid SDF file, if I want to know where in
the source code this is used, I have to do another search:

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/search?q=fc45ka&project=aoo-trunk

the Help ID leads you to the source code, all the SDF files, you can compare all
translations quickly using opengrok, you can narrow your search only for
the source code, or only for l10n, etc.:

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/search?q=CB_REDUCEIMAGERESOLUTION&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=&project=aoo-trunk

In short, I find more useful a non-pro build, where you can activate
extra warnings for overlapping controls in dialogs, text too long to fit
in a fixed text, multiple use of the same mnemonic, etc. And you can do
much with the help ID (it can be activated in a regular build by
exporting HELP_DEBUG=1

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile