openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Small concern about the translation corruption
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 18:59:29 GMT
Hi Risto,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 08:38:22PM +0200, risto.i.j@saunalahti.fi wrote:
> Hello!  I have noticed that in Apache OpenOffice 3.5.0 test version
> has somehow corrupted Finnish UI texts. Yet those lines were correct
> previously in Pootle and in published version (3.4.1).  Is there any
> possibility that those corrupted lines are going to final version or
> is there some better way?

The translations done so far were on the 3.4 branch code, so some
strings that have already been translated might appear as untranslated
due to being moved on the source, the ID being changed, etc. Your
screenshots show two cases (I've made the source change for both, so
I'll comment):

- the About dialog resource file has been modified, so the strings
  appear as new. In this particular case, the copyright text was on
  a single file that forced creating a single resource file for that
  only purpose in the svx module, now it has bee moved to cui
  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?diff_format=h&view=revision&revision=1351463
  This simplifies code maintenance, modularity, etc.

- the menu Labels have been reorganized, strings duplicated among
  several applications have been removed, and a single string added to
  a new shared location, see for example

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/StartModuleCommands.xcu?revision=1225984&view=markup
versus
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/StartModuleCommands.xcu?revision=1349914&view=markup

This has the drawback that already translated strings might appear as
new, but the gain is obvious: just as example, the file in the link
above is now empty, has no strings to translate.

> I don't know who and how this corruption is made but I am quite sure
> that there is nobody who will correct again and again same already
> translated lines without prober salary.

Depending on the software you use to translate, the translation memory
might do the job without effort.

> Test version:
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/rjaaskel/1/Menu/OOo/Tunnistus.gif
>
> Example of corruption: