openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Correlating Lithuanian translation with the GUI of OO
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 21:59:33 GMT
Hello,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:57:37PM +0200, Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So far I've quite comfortable working with Poedit within its own
> range of possibilities. What's essentially lacking though is a way
> of correlating my translations with the actual GUI of OO.

The UI to PO correlation (for example: given a menu item, or a button in
a control, find the PO file where it should be translated) can be solved
by HelpID or kid, see this thread.

Unfortunately, the PO to UI correlation (given a string in a PO file,
find the element in the UI that is being translated) is not that "easy".

> Is there a tool / technique / special OO build or extension that
> would held me locate the translated strings cur in the GUI of OO?

None, AFAIK; everything I can imagine involves something "geek" (that
is, certain level of knowledge of the source code); developers have
a tool called opengrok, for example, that might help for your case, but
might be complicated for a translator.

Taking the example of the Help ID in this pictures:

a) CB_REDUCEIMAGERESOLUTION
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/HelpIDs.png

b) RID_SVXPAGE_COLOR
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/HelpID_cui.png

Searching only the module helpcontent2 in opengrok (this module contains
all the help files in english):

a)
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/search?q=CB_REDUCEIMAGERESOLUTION&defs=&refs=&path=helpcontent2&hist=&project=aoo-trunk

b)
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/search?q=RID_SVXPAGE_COLOR&defs=&refs=&path=helpcontent2&hist=&project=aoo-trunk

Finding the help file can give you a hint about the context. Of course,
this works only if there is documentation in the help files for the
respective helpID

Example (a) would be from a string located in ui/filter/source/pdf.po

#: impdialog.src#RID_PDF_TAB_GENER.CB_REDUCEIMAGERESOLUTION.checkbox.text
msgid "~Reduce image resolution"

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile