openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Paolo Pozzan <paolo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proper Usage of the Tilde Character
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:02:01 GMT
Il 12/03/2013 09:57, Aivaras Stepukonis ha scritto:
> Thanks for the quick answer. As a result, I'm extending my request to
> the rest of the translators. What's your systematic way of using the
> tilde character and the main reasons for that particular usage?
[cut]

Hello, there used to be a page on the wiki about this topic,
unfortunately I cannot find it anymore.

For what I can remember the rules are:
- if you can, keep it on the same letter
- if not, use the first letter of the word, unless it's already used in
the same menu
- be consistent with other acceletators on different applications (e.g.
"File" of almost any app uses "F")
- given that is difficult to know in what menu the word will end, don't
use any tilde and let the automatic procedure do that for you.

Keep in mind that if you use the same letter for two or more entries on
the same menu, this will not break the program but the user will have to
press multiple times the specified key to toggle between entries.
Also, some users are very accustomed to use the accelerators, so a
change between versions could break their workflow.

Paolo