openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Language codes ???
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:51:47 GMT
janI wrote:
> I have the following codes (directories):
> af brx dz eu he ka ky my om ro ...
> Where  can I find the relation between the directory names and the
> languages (human names), someone (I think andrea) mentioned it was country
> codes ?

We don't use country codes, we rely on the LANGUAGE codes, which are ISO
standards. So, in general:
- if it is a two-letter code, look it up in ISO 639-1:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes  ("af" -> "Afrikaans")
- if it is a three-letter code, use ISO 639-2 or (more complete, extends
639-2) 639-3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-3_codes
("pap" -> "Papiamento")

> I expected dialects within a language to be written as e.g. es_XX, and I
> know there is an ongoing effort on translating to
>     Catalan Euskadi and Gallego

No, this would be a dangerous approach! There is a lot of "political
correctness" at work here. Everything that is in ISO is a language. So
all languages spoken in Spain have equal dignity and their own codes.
Catalan is "ca", Basque/Euskadi is "eu", Gallego is "gl" and you listed
all three of them.

> I am also a bit puzzled about pt_BR and ca_XV

These are extensions made to accommodate language variants. Languages in
the form '[a-z]*_[A-Z]*' are an internal convention to be read as:
language_PLACE. So en_US means "English, as spoken in the US"; en_GB =
"English, as spoken in Great Britain"; pt_BR = "Portoguese, as spoken in
Brazil"; ca_XV = "Catalan, as spoken in Valencia [or Comunidad
Valenciana]". zh_CN and zh_TW are often called "simplified" and
"traditional" Chinese, instead of being linked to China and Taiwan as
the two codes would mean.

Regards,
   Andrea.