openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Language codes ???
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:10:19 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Do you know why we don't just follow the IETF's recommendations in
> this area?  They have a similar scheme, BCP 47, but use a hyphen
> rather than underscore, e.g., en-US, pt-BR.  This is what is used on
> the web in general, e.g., in HTTP headers.
> See:   http://www.rfc-editor.org/bcp/bcp47.txt

I have absolutely no idea, probably it just happened that someone chose
a convention for OpenOffice.

> The even take it a step further, which might be useful in some cases.
> For example:  sr-Latn-RS means Serbian language written in Latin
> script, as used in Serbia.

In this case we have both, and we call them "sh" and "sr":
http://www.openoffice.org/download/legacy/other.html
But indeed we wouldn't be able to use this trick in other, similar cases.

Regards,
   Andrea.