openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Language codes ???
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:06:55 GMT
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Do you know why we don't just follow the IETF's recommendations in
>> this area?  They have a similar scheme, BCP 47, but use a hyphen
>> rather than underscore, e.g., en-US, pt-BR.  This is what is used on
>> the web in general, e.g., in HTTP headers.
>> See:   http://www.rfc-editor.org/bcp/bcp47.txt
>

> I have absolutely no idea, probably it just happened that someone chose a
> convention for OpenOffice.

If it is possible to synch up on the BCP 47 standard, it might have
some advantages.  For example, it should make recommending a specific
download for AOO very easy.  Most browsers put the user's locale into
the HTTP request header "Accept-Language" using the BCP.47 format.
They can even put multiple, prioritized languages.  For example, I.E.
can send something like this:

That means it prefers French (with default weight q=1.0) but will also
accept German, but with a lower weight.

If we were consistent with how we tag the languages, we could make
better recommendations for users whose 1st language we don't support,
using the same logic that websites do today.

-Rob