openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tagged Menu Entries
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 22:03:18 GMT
Wow.
On 13-03-16, at 17:18 , Aivaras Stepukonis <astepukonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have stumbled upon this rather old initiative called a 'built' version of OpenOffice
1.1.3 (Arusha) <http://www.kilinux.udsm.ac.tz/kiblog/kiblog_sw/archives/permalinks/2004-11-11T10_11_03.html>
for tagging menu entries and showing references to PO files.

> Is anything like that available for the current version of Open Office? Or perhaps something
like that in the works?

Hm….
 Looking at the link, Arusha, a section in TZ and also a people who speak maasai but who use
Kiswahili makes me think you might be referring to the kiswahili version of OpenOffice.org.

As much as I could, I worked with the team making what turned out to be Jambo OpenOffice.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambo_OpenOffice>.

Unfortunately, as the Wikipedia entry indicates…...

It'd be nice if the Kiswahili version of AOO were resumed. The primary driver of it left the
project and moved back to Sweden, and then sort of became incommunicado, though I tried contacting
him late last year, as I wanted this particular effort to resume, too. I used to know some
of the principals behind it, but that was back in 2004, ages ago. And as was more often the
case then, projects more quickly withered on the vine than bore fruit.

That is not to say that there wouldn't be a lot of interest in this resuming; of that, I have
no doubt. Macroeconomic issues, such as the recent elections in Kenya, a well as recent (>2
years) accelerations in ICT would likely drive attention to such an effort.

What sort of resources could you marshal? At a guess I can think that there would be quite
a few here who would find such a localization effort of interest.

> With best wishes,
>
> Aivaras

best
louis