openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: https://translate.apache.org
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 06:55:52 GMT
On 5/15/13 6:20 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> the new version of pootle went online a moment ago.
>>
>> Thx to jsc the last translations are in the server. Jsc is still
>> controlling our po files and how we shall use the server.
>>
>> There might be minor issues the next couple of days, so please mail the
>> list if you find things that are not as the should be.
>>
>> One of the most important features is that you as user can upload/download
>> po zip files (NO .mo files)
>>
>> In about 2 weeks, I will look at if we can optimize the database (I need
>> usage to check what to optimize).
>>
>> Looking forward to see pure green arrows for all languages :-)
>>

> Excellent.  This is a good step forward.  Thanks to Jan and Juergen
> for making this happen.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Do we need to update anything on our current intro to translating
> page, or is this information still accurate?
>
> http://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html

we should add that people can request an account for Pootle via the
mailing list and we will handle this on demand. The advantage is that
their suggestions are under their name and not under nobody. But they
don't have further rights at the moment. Their suggestions are handled
in the same way as patches and have to be reviewed by a committer.

We take translation in the same way serious as normal coding work. But
we keep following our approach to propose active translators quite fast
as committer. We need people who speak a language to be ale to review.

> 2) Is there time enough still to go forward with calling for
> translators for some of the other languages that are 90%+ done, that
> were not included in AOO 3.4.1?  Or would that put too much stress on
> the system?  We could also do a language refresh later, like we did
> with 3.4.1, if that makes it easier.

I think we should call for as many as possible volunteers. We have
already some further languages added in the 4.0 project. And I will add
further languages on demand (if somebody steps up and want to start) or
over time.

NOTICE: we will definitely have one further update of some string at the
end of the week. But that shouldn't be a big problem and can probably be
handled via he Pootle server completely.

Juergen