openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss][Wiki]"Synchronizing" (or not) localized wiki sites [was: Fwd: [UserGuide]My "roadmap"]
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 20:26:17 GMT
On 02/06/2013 RGB ES wrote:
> (Top posting, CC to dev, doc and l10n, not sure on which one it is better
> to continue the discussion)
> Do we want to "clone", for example, the documentation section on all the
> localized sites, just translating it? On Sun times that was the idea, with
> sub sites ("portals") like
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/DE/Documentation
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/FR/Documentation
> etc looking almost the same on all languages.

This can work. We also have this other infrastructure in place
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Test
added by Claudio a few months ago. See
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Template:Lang
to see how it works. I don't know which approach is best for our case.

As for keeping subsites synchronized, in theory this allows to have a
"Master copy" in English and then translate it in the various languages
as volunteers become available. In practice, we can't stop someone from
editing or creating a translated page to add new content in a language
only, but ideally this would imply that the English version is updated
to reflect the changes too.

> AFAIK, right now the only of those sub sites updated recently is the French
> one, though: several of those "portals" do not see activity since years.

Yes, but this does not mean that they are completely outdated:
information in those pages is still current and relevant in most cases,
and I think it makes sense to continue using it rather than "starting
clean" there too (unless there are plans for a major rewrite).

Regards,
   Andrea.