openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Single Printout
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:01:14 GMT
On 14.06.2013 04:19, Kadal Amutham wrote:

Regarding your earlier question regarding why the same string may be
defined more than once.  I am not sure that if that is the original
question but if it is, here is my attempt at an answer:
Different modules in AOO, for example sw for Writer and sc for Calc, can
not easily access resource files from other modules.  In some cases you
can try to move such strings to a common base module such as svx.  But
that is not always possible and involves some work.

In other words, there are technical reasons for duplicate strings as
well as lack of time and laziness.

> Hopefully this is outdated, but in any case Tamil would be the only
> affected language and we will remember to check it.
>

> We will take this issue after the release and all of us become a bit free
>
> With Warm Regards
>
> V.Kadal Amutham
> 919444360480
> 914422396480
>

> On 14 June 2013 00:56, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Kadal Amutham wrote:
>>
>>> [Juan C. Sanz] "According with Tips for translators, tip 3 in [1]
>>> "OpenOffice will
>>>
>>> automatically assign an accelerator to commands". That is, as far as I can
>>> understand, that your translation will do have accelerators. I hope you
>>> can
>>> confirm us that."
>>> I was specifically told in some thread, not to use the accelerators.
>>>
>> This is correct. No need to specify accelerators. Honestly, I have a doubt
>> for Kadal only, since the algorithm, from very old documentation
>> (pre-OpenOffice 1.0!), seems to apply to Latin languages only:
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/**wiki/Mnemonics_Localisation#**
>> How_the_mnemonics_are_assigned<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Mnemonics_Localisation#How_the_mnemonics_are_assigned>

Is this "no accelerators" rule still active?  Even in languages where
automatic selection of accelerators work, can that not break
documentation?  I mean, can adding a new string lead to all accelerators
being redefined?

And there is point 3 in section 1.1 in the Mnemonics_Localisation page
mentioned above:

    "The bugs are fixed manually in Web-LingTool by placing the '~'
character to a different position"

Removing all explicitly defined accelerators would remove such bug fixes.

-Andre