openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Single Printout
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:27:22 GMT
2013/6/12 Kadal Amutham <vkadal@gmail.com>

> I already completed major portion of translation. Another 1800 words left.
> I am talking the problem of mine alone. This is problematic to all the
> translators. Some time, same string is present in the same file itself.
>
> My aim is that there shall be only one set of strings, all over the AOO. It
> may be used in many places under  various conditions. I do not understand
> why there is a need for same string repeated in many places.

One thing that comes to my mind are hardcoded keyboard accelerators. AOO is
able to generate keyboard accelerators automatically, but if you have, for
example, the string "Save" and on one window the accelerator is on the "S"
while on other is on "a" the user will find an inconsistency. That's why
some common accelerators are coded with the original string, like
"~Save"... but this of course cause an awful lot of other translation
issues: "Guardar" do not have "S" and as translator it is not easy to
choose a consistent set of accelerators without seeing the menu entry on
its context, on which case one ends by not using accelerators at all.

No idea how this can be handled, but I agree that translating dozens of
short strings like "Save" 30 or more times each one is time consuming and
boring.

> After completing my current translation, I want to study this problem

Great!

Regards
Ricardo