openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Single Printout
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:49:40 GMT
On 15 June 2013 13:44, Kadal Amutham <vkadal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand Mr Jan I. I got stuck in getting Pootle installed in my Ubuntu
> 11.10 desktop. I will resolve it soon and try to manipulate the data
> available with me.

If your purpose is to check/print etc. the text, have a look at the gettext
utility instead (see pootle homepage), there a set of utilities  available
on ubuntu (and other os), that convert the po files to a lot of different
formats, e.g. csv format that you can load into calc.

jsc and I do a lot of the maintenance using these utilities.

rgds
jan I.

> With Warm Regards
>
> V.Kadal Amutham
> 919444360480
> 914422396480
>

> On 15 June 2013 17:06, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On 15 June 2013 10:35, Kadal Amutham <vkadal@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Jani, Could you able to access the database and the tables in pootle,
> as
> > > one could do it in MySQL?
> > >

> > I have access to the mysql db, but I cannot provide that for you (at
> least
> > at the moment), this is a shared server between all asf projects and in
> > order to have mysql access you would need access to the server and be
> able
> > to do sudo.
> >
> > The database is controlled by pootle, and we are very carefull when using
> > mysql directly, actually we only do backup, and I do db optimization.
> >

> > > I checked the size of Tamil pootle files it is 5.7 MB. Assume 10 MB.
> > There
> > > are not more than 40 languages currently in pootle. So the DB size
> should
> > > not be more than 400MB? How it shows 15GB? Actually it should be much
> > less
> > > than 400MB. The original English text data will not be repeated 40
> times,
> > > to get 400MB. So where is the catch?
> > >

> > I am not sure why you expect the mysql tables to have anywhere the same
> > size as the simple po files. the mysql tables contains all kind of key
> > references, historical data, information about who did what.
> >
> > I dont think there is a catch, try to load the po files in simple tables
> > and you will normally find that the tables are much larger than the
> > original text files.
> >
> > I you want to learn more about how pootle structures data, then download
> it
> > and install it, having done that you can  upload your files on your local
> > version, and play with that.
> >

> > > There is one law. The name I forgot
> > >
> > > The work extends till the time available
> > > The data expands to fill the hard disk space
> > >

> > Yeah, you are right, but dont forget the other law:
> >     The more you compress data, the slower a system you get.
> >
> > rgds
> > jan I.
> >

> > > With Warm Regards
> > >
> > > V.Kadal Amutham