openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Single Printout
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:36:16 GMT
On 15 June 2013 10:35, Kadal Amutham <vkadal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jani, Could you able to access the database and the tables in pootle, as
> one could do it in MySQL?

I have access to the mysql db, but I cannot provide that for you (at least
at the moment), this is a shared server between all asf projects and in
order to have mysql access you would need access to the server and be able
to do sudo.

The database is controlled by pootle, and we are very carefull when using
mysql directly, actually we only do backup, and I do db optimization.

> I checked the size of Tamil pootle files it is 5.7 MB. Assume 10 MB. There
> are not more than 40 languages currently in pootle. So the DB size should
> not be more than 400MB? How it shows 15GB? Actually it should be much less
> than 400MB. The original English text data will not be repeated 40 times,
> to get 400MB. So where is the catch?

I am not sure why you expect the mysql tables to have anywhere the same
size as the simple po files. the mysql tables contains all kind of key
references, historical data, information about who did what.

I dont think there is a catch, try to load the po files in simple tables
and you will normally find that the tables are much larger than the
original text files.

I you want to learn more about how pootle structures data, then download it
and install it, having done that you can  upload your files on your local
version, and play with that.

> There is one law. The name I forgot
>
> The work extends till the time available
> The data expands to fill the hard disk space

Yeah, you are right, but dont forget the other law:
    The more you compress data, the slower a system you get.

rgds
jan I.