openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: French extension update
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:59:41 GMT
On 07/08/2013 Olivier R. wrote:
> It would be useful if the bundled French dictionary could be updated
> with this one:
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/fr/node/17340
> The current spelling dictionary is outdated, the hyphenation rules also.

OK, thank you (you are reading this, right? the "noreply" in your e-mail
seems scary...) for this. The update can surely be done. The only change
needed for this would be that extensions that we include in the build
must be locally hosted on the Extensions site to avoid risk of a broken
build, see
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/extensions.lst?view=markup

On your side, this simply means creating a 4.12 release and hosting the
file on the Extensions site, or create a new 4.11 release and uploading
the file (and then you can hide/unpublish the current 4.11 page).

> But the most important is to update the extension identifier.
> This current identifier is obsolete. The extension has a new identifier
> since its bundles 4 spelling dictionaries and the UI to select which one
> to use.

This is a change that we should discuss better. From a users'
perspective, is it possible to install the two extensions together?
People who upgrade 3.4.1->4.0.1 or 4.0.0->4.0.1 will probably find
themselves with two dictionaries. I once tried it with two Italian
dictionaries and it worked (a word was valid if it belonged to at least
one installed dictionary; don't know about hyphenation). If coexistence
is not a problem, I can update the file above and include the new
extension once we have a copy of it on the Extensions site.

> In order to install the new extension, users have to remove the old one,
> which is uneasy, as they have to relaunch the OO installation process to
> do so. That’s unpractical.

Are you saying that they can't even install the new one or just that for
full functionality they would need to remove the old one and that this
is unpractical? Anything that leads to an installation error or an
upgrade error is problematic.

A workaround is, of course, to push the new extension (with the old ID)
as an update of the old one. I can't find the old one, maybe it was
unpublished, but this should provide an alternate migration path if the
above is too risky.

Regards,
   Andrea.