openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From "Olivier R." <olivier.nore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: French extension update
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:41:37 GMT

Le 11/08/2013 19:59, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :

> OK, thank you (you are reading this, right? the "noreply" in your e-mail
> seems scary...) for this. The update can surely be done. The only change
> needed for this would be that extensions that we include in the build
> must be locally hosted on the Extensions site to avoid risk of a broken
> build, see
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/extensions.lst?view=markup

> On your side, this simply means creating a 4.12 release and hosting the
> file on the Extensions site, or create a new 4.11 release and uploading
> the file (and then you can hide/unpublish the current 4.11 page).

I tried to upload again the extension on the OO website.
But I got an error message when I was asked to confirm the release
creation. It was: “Le site Web a rencontré une erreur inattendue.
Veuillez essayer de nouveau plus tard.” (The website encountered an
unexpected error. Please try again later.)

> This is a change that we should discuss better. From a users'
> perspective, is it possible to install the two extensions together?

It’s possible but it may have side effects.

> People who upgrade 3.4.1->4.0.1 or 4.0.0->4.0.1 will probably find
> themselves with two dictionaries. I once tried it with two Italian
> dictionaries and it worked (a word was valid if it belonged to at least
> one installed dictionary; don't know about hyphenation). If coexistence
> is not a problem, I can update the file above and include the new
> extension once we have a copy of it on the Extensions site.

Coexistence is a problem. But when users update AOO, old files are
removed, right? So why the dictionary 4.2 would be still here?

>> In order to install the new extension, users have to remove the old one,
>> which is uneasy, as they have to relaunch the OO installation process to
>> do so. That’s unpractical.
>
> Are you saying that they can't even install the new one or just that for
> full functionality they would need to remove the old one and that this
> is unpractical? Anything that leads to an installation error or an
> upgrade error is problematic.

These spelling dictionaries are grammatically tagged. These tags are
used by Grammalecte, the French grammar checker, to identify words. Tags
have changed since 4.2, and the grammar checker would be confused by the
dictionary 4.2, and would report false positives. That’s why the old
dictionary has to be removed.

For those who don’t use Grammalecte, it shouldn’t have side effects
(except waste of memory) if AOO really loads both dictionaries and if
the user don’t change the default dictionary. But if users switch to the
“reform” dictionary, it won’t work as it should as the “modern”
dictionary will still be used with the “reform” one.
(Users can switch from one dictionary to another in menu Tool > Language
 > French spelling dictionaries...)

> A workaround is, of course, to push the new extension (with the old ID)
> as an update of the old one. I can't find the old one, maybe it was
> unpublished, but this should provide an alternate migration path if the
> above is too risky.

I didn’t know the extension website was used as source for building AOO,
I deleted/unpublished the old extensions.

I’d really prefer the old ID to be changed.

For a long time, there were 4 dictionary extensions (“modern”,
“classic”, “reform”, “all variants”) and Grammalecte, the grammar
checker. Each extension had its own identifier. It was not really
practical, for I often had to change the tags of words and users had to
update several extensions. There was no way to switch between
dictionaries, except by uninstalling/installing extensions.

Now, it’s simpler. There is two extensions:
- Grammalecte, with the 4 spelling dictionaries included,
- the 4 spelling dictionaries without Grammalecte.

They both have the same identifier, in order that if users install
Grammalecte, it will overide the dictionaries extension installed with
the software. And Grammalecte bundles all it needs to work. If you
uninstall the grammar checker, you get back the spelling dictionaries
included in the software. It prevents conflicts and confusions.

Regards,
Olivier