openoffice-l10n mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Does Pootle have comments?
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:58:58 GMT
We're seeing a lot of very good questions about how to interpret the
English strings in Pootle.  Some of it is due to the limited context.
Some of it is due to the use of technical terms like "emboss".

What can we do to help make this easier to understand?  The questions
that one person asks, for one translation, are also good questions
that other translators will likely have?

1) We could just respond to these questions on the mailing list, and
then ask translators to search the archives to find responses to
previous questions.  If we were consistent with always including the
string ID in the questions, this would make it easier to search for.

2) Is there a way to give an explanation/comment in Pootle, or a  link
to an email in the archives?

3) Should we make a "terminology" wiki page with all of these
technical terms, their definitions, and common translations?  I
imagine knowing how a term is translated in Russian, for example,
might help other Slavic languages as well, for example.

-Rob